The RSA and Fairness in Religions in School recently commissioned a report, Carson 2015 Review, by professional sexuality educator Deanne Carson on material currently being used by Special Religious Education (SRE) volunteers in NSW public schools.
- promotes a culture in which girls carry sole responsibility for maintaining 'purity' (boys cannot control themselves)
- teaches that gender diverse teens exist due to the 'sins of the world'
- refers to false information about reparative (conversion) therapies for LGBTI youth
- reinforces messages that lead to victim blaming of sexual assault survivors
- speaks of divorce as being a sin and is dismissive of domestic violence issues.